Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Monster 3D Mk3

Today I recreated a base poly monster in 3ds Max and then did the first import test to CryEngine.

I set out to do some more with the 3D model of the Loch Monster (or Loch Maiden) but found a suite of minor but frustrating errors had crept in due to my lack of care when creating it. So I dove in and created a mk3 version which had more sensible low-res geometry (mid seam and using symmetry modifier).

First a torus with sane settings for the proportions, sliced in half and copied a few times. Then some edits to stretch them up elegantly without using scale and thus distorting the cross sections. Simple enough to delete the unwanted faces for the head and tail and then cap the end to make extruding simple using the new end face. So adjusting the angle and scale when appropriate I just extruded my way up to craft the tail and head.
Then I made a version with a slightly expanded base to print before I thought it might be good to have the below-the-water part for the CryEngine scene. So lots of copying an mirroring later there was a loooong Loch Monster.





Then after a bit of looking up I exported the mesh over to CryEngine and brought it into the Loch level. It came in with some settings a little odd (rotation, scale and no texture as I hadnt handled these yet). So with a few simple changes in the editor and application of a built-in object texture and we can see a rudimentary Loch Monster (even a pink one)!




Next steps will be to add mesh detail to all the spots where extra verts will be needed by Mudbox and to get some cleaner UVs.

No comments: