Monday, 30 January 2017

X-Wing Playmats and Asteroids

Star Wars X-Wing is one of the prettiest games you can have grace your tabletop. On the weekend I picked up one of the FFG playmats (the one featuring the 2nd Death Star). It looks just gorgeous with a nice level of detail and layout of Endor and the space station. At one point I wasnt sure if I wanted this or just the generic star field, but decided I could make a circular flat moon that can cover up the death star to make the mat into a more generic location. That is a little project to come later, for now check out how pretty it looks:

New playmat closeup (expensive but gorgeous)

With this uplift in visual quality I decided that Sunday would be Asteroid-day. The game comes with flat carboard markers asteroids but creating actual 3D ones to float above the battlefield the same way the ships do has been on my todo list for a while.

There are a few options for doing this, mostly involve using foam of some sort, painting then mounting them. I did consider modelling and 3Dprinting some but that would be a longer process.

So armed with some packing foam I started testing. First if I could model up some roid looking shapes and then how painting might work. You can see here that the modelling was fine, but my paint test using enamel showed that the meltyness of the paint was just too much. Yes, you get a nice effect as it eats into the foam, but my foam must have been too light as it ate into it toooo much (or maybe if I was super patient and used lots of really fine coats).

roughing up an asteroid - knife was used, but fingers did most of the work

modelled a suite of roids from the foam trying to get some interesting shapes

asteroid field on stalks ready for some spray paint

So I popped out and grabbed some black spray paint that works on plastic, which did eat into it a tiny bit adding more randomness to the shapes - made for a good basecoat of black. The paint was just black rust-guard for metal which also bonds to plastic that I got from the hardware shop. I used Games Workshop modelling paint to touch up the bits that needed it which actually takes a while with this many asteroids on the go.

spray painting, this shot is after the black with a dusting of modelling white on top

painting in the orange using nice watery paint so it gets into the nooks and cranies

Then I tried a few colours before settling on adding orange. I made this pretty watered down and only in certain parts of each asteroid. Kind of makes it look like rust and just makes them less monochrome. Lastly drybrushing some white over each asteroid brings out their complexity, detail and shape. Lastly I added a little more white to ridges and particularly prominent bits of each.

The bases I wanted to be simple black stands which could just be placed on top of the 'official' asteroid markers. This means they could just be picket up whenever they got in the way and the game rules could play out using the carboard.

stand testing using bolts, washers and such

They needed to be heavy enough to stay upright with a big foam asteroid on top which is more about dealing with any breeze wafting over the board. I got some bolts and washers which I superglued onto a thin piece of card and to each other. I sprayed them with the same black and they were ready to go.

assembled, glued and spraypainted weighty stands for the asteroids

Assembly was just about sliding the larger asteroids onto a stand and then making holes for skewers to attach some of the smaller ones to them. I superglued them in place after they were all setup and hey-presto a whole suite of asteroids.

I am not sure how durable they will be with transporting etc, but they look super on day 1. Maybe they look a bit 'deadly' compared to how other people may want them to look - I think it may make us players think twice about getting too close.

Completed asteroids lined up on the new playmat

new asteroids sitting nicely on top of the cardboard playing pieces

closeup showing the rusty feel with the drybrushing over the top

Scary looking asteroids - all pilots beware

So it took me a full day to make these, basically season one of Star Wars Rebels which I had on during construction.

No comments: